Monday, February 20, 2012

Lightened Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce

Lighter Version of Penne A La Vodka or Penne with Pink Vodka Sauce
A dear friend of mine asked me if i could try to lighten up her families favorite meal, Penne with pink vodka sauce. I think i did it! I never made the original version, so i cannot tell the difference. She said her family loved it and i should share it with you! Thanks Angie!
Ingredients
1 16 ounce package of Dreamfield's Penne Pasta
1 T Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Vodka
1/2 t Dried Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 t Worcestershire Sauce
8 oz low salt Tomato Sauce
1/2 6 oz can low salt Tomato Paste
1 Cup Fat Free Half and Half
1 t corn starch
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1. Cook Pasta as directed.
2. In a large saucepan heat olive oil, vodka, red pepper flakes and worcestershire sauce until it boils, about 5 minutes to burn off alcohol.
3. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste and half and half. Sprinkle with cornstarch.  Wisk. Boil about 10 minutes or until thickened. (because of the fat free half and half, it might look a bit seperated or curdled)
4. Wisk in salt, pepper and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Simmer 10 minutes.
5. Serve one cup sauce over one cup pasta. (for me, i just mixed the pasta into the sauce and served one cup servings which likely changes the nutritional content. It gave me less sauce but was delicious! 










 Nutritional Info Old Version
Calories 580
Fat 31 grams
Fiber 3 grams

Nutritional Info Lighter Version
Calories 363
Fat 5 grams
Fiber 7 grams

I entered both versions into My Fitness Pal recipe calculator to get the nutritional content. I think it looks correct, if you come up with somthing different, please let me know.

Pair this with a large salad with balsalmic dressing and you have yourself a dinner that makes you really feel like you are cheating! If you have enough calories left in your day, you could throw in some grilled chicken chunks!

P.S. I added a new picture to my last post "200 calorie egg breakfast". You might want to revisit it!
Tomorrow.....BBQ Chicken Egg Rolls











No comments:

Post a Comment