Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lentil-Vegetable Soup

Lentil Vegetable Soup:
I came up with this soup a few years ago. It is so easy to make, it makes a lot but freezes well. It tastes like a hearty meaty chili. I know this recipe calls for frozen veggies, please feel free to use fresh as you would like. I have and it works just as well. Sometimes i just need a fuss free soup, and that is when i use the frozen veggies.

Ingredients:
8 Cups Water
1 pkg dried lentil beans
8 Cups reduced sodium fat free organic chicken broth
1/2 bag each frozen peas and corn
1 bag frozen broccoli and cauliflower
1 bag coin cut or chip cut carrots
1/2 head shredded cabbage
1 medium onion, diced
1 green zucchini, diced
8 oz container mushrooms, sliced
3-4 minced garlic cloves
12 oz can low sodium organic tomato paste
1/8 cup Italian Seasonings
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Place water and beans into a very large stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce, and simmer for 45 mins or until beans are soft. Add remaining ingredients, return to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours.


Sorry it's been so long since i have posted. I have been very busy getting the garden plans ready, finding my seeds i saved last fall and gearing up fro spring! I am thinking about posting, in addition to recipes, notes about my garden! Let me know your thoughts......



No comments:

Post a Comment