Friday, March 23, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Bread:
My kids love pumpkin bread! A few years ago, i created this version of the bread stuffed with vitamins! I always make a double batch thinking i will freeze some....not so much! It gets eaten before it even gets a chance to cool down! This is not a diet bread however, in an attempt to make myself healthier, my family is along for the ride. I try to hide vegetables in anything I can....pancakes, mac n cheese, muffins, cookies and breads! It makes it easier to say yes to that second cookie!
Ingredients:
15 ounce can Organic Pumpkin Puree
4 eggs (or 1 cup egg beaters)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
2/3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup carrot puree, sweet potato puree or applesauce
1/8 cup ground wheat germ
1/8 cup ground flax seed
2 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour or cake flour
2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 3 7x3 inch loaf pans, or 2 8x3 or 9x3 with cooking spray. Whatever you have on hand, i have even made these into muffins or mini loaves.
2. Mix all ingredients until well blended. (i use my kitchenaid mixer. Batter will be smooth and shiny!
3. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Regarding the puree. This is where the vitamins come in to play! I always use sweet potato puree, i make my own in large batches and freeze it, but you can use baby food or frozen if you can find it. Feel free to omit the flax seed and the wheat germ if you don't have it on hand.











No comments:

Post a Comment